Sunday, July 11, 2010

Pardon My Absence

I know, I know... who starts a blog, writes 2 posts then peaces out?

I do.

Let me explain...


First of all, my last semester of grad school just kicked my butt. Plain and simple. The thought of writing anything at all, even a blog about my two most favorite furry creatures in the world, after work and school and life, was just too much for me. (Let me point out here that if this phenomenal woman has time to write multiple blogs daily while raising 3 beautiful children and supporting her church-planting husband, I really have no excuse, but humor me.)

Then there’s the whole point of this blog: advocacy for adopting adult dogs. I wanted to share with the world all the hilarity and joy that comes from the creatures most commonly passed-over in shelters and adoption organizations around the country. I was tired of hearing the excuses. “My dog doesn’t like other dogs; he’s a shelter dog.” “I’m sorry, she has separation anxiety and will never ever stop barking; she’s a shelter dog.” “No, it’s totally normal for my dog to eat sheet metal for every meal; he’s a shelter dog.”

(Just kidding on that last one. Sort of.)

So in short, I wanted to encourage others to see how possible it is to overcome the challenges that certainly exist when adopting adult dogs.

Y’all, I cannot, in good faith, encourage

anyone

to go through what we’ve been through the last couple of months.

It seems we’ve got the situation under control now. To be more specific, my Partner in Crime has the situation under control. I’m still learnin’. But we’re working on it. I think the trauma is behind us. We can stop spending ¾ of our paychecks at Home Depot. And I’m ready to resume advocacy. So, as I was saying…

Everyone wants a puppy. Everyone wants a pure-bred. Everyone wants perfect. Y’all, perfect does not exist here on Earth. But wonderful does. And my babies are wonderful.


But I do have a whole slew of stories and photos to scare the be-Jesus out of anyone considering adoption. Just so you know what exactly you’ll need to overcome.

1 comment:

  1. a) that's the first time anyone has ever called me a woman.
    b) I feel the SAME way about my life. I would NEVER recommend someone have three kids under three a million miles away from family, live in poverty for a year, and plant a church another million miles away. it's the farthest from perfect I can imagine. but oh goodness, oh goodness - it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete